Mean Girls – The Movie
The 2004 movie, Mean Girls clearly illustrates the passive-aggressive ways that girls are socialized to interact with one another. It’s a slice of life type of film that resonates with the zeitgeist. It’s a rare film that resonates in such a way to transcend its own time period to become a classic. IMHO, Mean Girls is just such a film. Even a decade on, I think it still holds up really well.
Mean Girls Day
In the film, the protagonist, Cady Heron has a crush on Aaron Samuels. She sits behind him in class and one day, he turns back to her and asks, “What’s the date today?” and her reply, “It’s October 3rd” sparked an unofficial holiday. It’s a day to celebrate our love of this film. It mostly exists online. With the birth of Social Media, “Mean Girls Day” has taken on a life of its own.
Celebrate Mean Girls Day Offline
Here are a few ways to celebrate your love of the film as you go about your day.
- Grab a friend and plan out your sexy Halloween costumes. It’s the one day of the year where you can be as slutty as you want and no other girl can call you out for it!
- Try to make “FETCH” happen.
- Wear a wig made out of your mom’s chest hair.
- Wear pink, even though it’s not Wednesday.
- Spike your mocktail because you’re not like a regular mom, you can be like a cool mom.
- Use the word, “Grool” as often as you can.
- Use your ESP to predict tomorrow’s weather.
- Bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles that everyone will eat and be happy.
- Gather a bunch of friends and watch the movie together!
Check out the film’s IMDB page for info about the film and where to stream it.